Whilst most of our support is proactive, funding is available to support a very small number of truly exceptional ideas and/or projects that contribute to meeting the identified objectives under our three main strategic aims: Cultural Understanding, Fulfilling Potential and Environment.
Our strategic aims for 2013 and some of our current work that supports them are set out on these pages. During 2013 we will continue to develop partnerships and activities under our core themes. We place a particular emphasis on maximising the beneficial impact of our work through encouraging cross-border exchanges of lessons and experiences.
To help improve people's perception of each other by providing opportunities for interaction through culture and between cultures.
To assist the most disadvantaged in society to fulfill their potential by building connections and developing opportunities...
To help in the development of a society which benefits from a more sustainable relationship with the natural world and understands the value of its resources.
To contribute to enhanced effectiveness of the organisations we work with, maintaining an interest in sectoral developments and seeking to influence others in maximising social and cultural value.
HOW WE WORK
- To achieve a greater impact, we are supporting fewer organisations with larger amounts of money.
- We work proactively by identifying needs and collaborating with a number of key organisations to help meet them.
- These partnerships and activities are selected by the Foundation and are time-limited.
- Occasionally, we will invite new funding proposals for specific initiatives.
- We place an emphasis on evaluating the impact achieved and communicating the lessons to those who can take these forward and help exact a greater impact.
WHERE WE WORK
The UK Branch of the Foundation supports only not-for-profit organisations based in the UK and Republic of Ireland. We support projects outside London in preference to those based in the capital. Although we establish partnerships at national, regional and local levels, we want to ensure that we support projects that have a benefit beyond the locality in which they are situated, and which have potential for future international application.
Image: IntergenerationAll pilot, 100 Women, a project set up by City Gateway to celebrate 100 women's lives and stories and to help build better understanding across different generations and cultural groups and with the community around them. Photo: City Gateway, Tower Hamlets